2022 is upon us, and with the bulk of the winter still in front of us, it is time to face up to the top ten jobs that you should resolve to get done on your Porsche this year – and the sooner the better. (We have put a couple of our jobs in there that we have been putting off for more than a little while.)
- Fix the oil leaks. “Sparky” has a rear main seal drip that we have been ignoring for longer than we want to admit. It’s time to fix it. And if you have front seal leaks, it’s time to fix them too.
- Replace that broken heater control valve. Our Special Edition “Moe” has a broken heater control valve, but it is so difficult to get to, we really have put it off. It does get cooler here in Florida, and the defroster is a handy thing to have. It’s time.
- Change the brake fluid. No one makes black brake fluid. If yours has developed the Black Death, change it – and don’t forget to bleed the clutch hydraulics to get the nasty black stuff out of there, too. (A Harbor Freight Power Bleeder works well for the clutch – and the rest, too.)
- Fix the hatch so it quits leaking/rattling/not working. Whatever it takes, fix it. If it is delaminating at the top, get it resealed. If it doesn’t close or open properly, re-align it. This is also a good time for a new hatch seal. RockAuto.com has an inexpensive replacement.
- Give it a good clean. For heaven’s sake, man – get the stuff out from under the seats, in the door pockets, in the glove box, and clean the windows! A little TLC on the paint won’t hurt, either.
- Get the AC recharged and check for leaks – then repaired. This isn’t AC season in most of the country, but the AC shop isn’t real busy right now. You may even get a break on the cost!
Replace the original fuel lines under the hood BEFORE the fire. It isn’t real difficult, and you have seen the photos and videos online of burning 944’s. Get the kit from RennBay or 944Online and fix it before it destroys your car.
- On your Series I 944 or 924S, replace all the fuses. Those exposed copper strip fuses corrode over time and fail. Go to Amazon.com, get the party pack of fuses and replace them all.
- While you’re at it, replace the wiper blades, too. They wear out, and you don’t realize they are bad until you need them. Then you forget until it rains again.
Fix the upholstery. Pull out the driver’s seat, take it to an upholstery shop and have them fix the split seams and repair worn bolsters. It’s less expensive than you think and will get worse if you don’t fix it now. If it is that far gone, get the reupholstery kit from Only944.com and redo them yourself. It’s not that difficult.
So that’s the list – not every item will fit you, but we are sure that some or most will. So let’s get to work.
- Fixing the Hatch: https://924s944.com/2018/09/24/fixing-the-hatch/
- Making the Hatch Work: https://924s944.com/2018/06/13/making-the-hatch-work/
- Fuel Lines: https://924s944.com/2018/01/20/ensuring-dependability-avoiding-disaster/