Please take this article in the spirit that it is offered – a bit of tongue-in-cheek. The current pandemic is serious stuff and we need to pay attention so that we don’t contract the disease and pass it on to others. But in the meantime…
The COVID-19 virus is all over the news. Everyone is cleaning, disinfecting, wearing masks and avoiding people. Anywhere that smells like a large gathering of people has been canceled, including Disney parks, NBA and NHL games, etc., etc. Even F1 is postponing races. But we all know that.
So what are we to do in the 924S944.com world? We may be in self-inflicted quarantine at home because there is no where to go and nothing to do. But remember that there are auto parts available online with delivery to your door. So here are some suggestions.
- Since the cleaning supplies are already out, go out in the driveway/garage and super-clean your Porsche. Get out the carpet cleaner, upholstery cleaner, window cleaner, Q-Tips, vacuum, clay bar, wax, plastic trim cleaner, degreaser, brake parts cleaner…all of it. Make it look and shine like new.
- Change all the fluids – engine oil, trans oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steering ATF, and the all-important blinker fluid. Check the chrome-moly muffler bearings while you’re there. Lube the stuff that moves, like the headlight mechanism.
- Pull and repack the front wheel bearings, or just go ahead and change them with new. They’re cheap.
- Brake pads need changing? Rotors a little groovy? Great time to do that little job.
- Find that rattle that has been bothering you and fix it.
- Make the hatch work like its supposed to.
- Make the sunroof work like its supposed to.
This is also a great time to catch up on your 924S/944 Knowledge Base. Search YouTube for how-to videos involving repairs, history, and other aspects of our cars. There’s a lot of great stuff out there. Also check out our video history of the development of the 924S. Binging on old racing movies, including Grand Prix, LeMans (1971), Rush, Senna, and others should also be on the table.
On a more serious note, take the time and caution to avoid contact with those who may be infected, use the tips supplied by those who know so that you do not become a victim. As with other diseases of this type, this too shall pass in time. Getting sick with fever, chills, and the other symptoms is never fun. And yes, people are dying all around the world. But being realistic is part of 924S944.com. Take care and stay healthy.
Kevin Duffy is an Associate Professor of Criminal Justice at Daytona State College in Florida and a dedicated car guy. He divides his time between teaching criminal justice topics in the online environment and working on/driving cars, particularly Porsches. Kevin is one of the principals in InspiringLifeOver50.com.