Every year we spend a lot of time developing an enticing April Fools joke article for your enjoyment, and these articles about re-introducing the 944, electrifying the 924S, and other such things have been extremely popular – and have produced more than their share of “gotcha” moments with our readers. Well, it’s been a busy winter, and to be honest, we haven’t come up with something entertaining this year.
So instead we want to take this opportunity to preview the coming “season” here at 9224S944.com with some of the events and milestones for which we are preparing. We already had a successful trip to the Amelia Island Concours and the Porsche Werks Reunion, so we are off and running!
- This past weekend we helped out at the Spring Daytona Turkey Run at Daytona International Speedway. Put on by the Daytona Street Rods and assisted by our own DeLand Area Cruisers, we got to see a lot of great classic cars, kit cars and hot rods. As a member of the DeLand Cruisers, I helped them out with their assigned duties.
- This weekend on Saturday, April 1, we will be teaching at the Thoroughbred Region PCA HPDE at the FIRM in Starke, FL. Sparky isn’t a track car, so he said that he doesn’t want to go. However, we will be doing in-car instruction and also teaching the newbie classroom sessions.
- On Saturday, April 8, we will be heading up the Florida Citrus Region PCA “Heritage Tour” from Oviedo to DeLand. This tour features air-cooled and front engine transaxle cars from “the beginning” up to the introduction of the 996. Most of the registrants have “heritage” cars, including five 944 variants.
- On April 29 we will be in Brevard, North Carolina for an Appalachian Region PCA event called “Luft Wasser” – you know, air/water! Two hundred Porsches will descend on Main Street in Brevard for this annual event. Sparky will be there.
- We haven’t scheduled anything for May and June, although there may be an autocross or a local Cars and Coffee now and again.
- July we head out for a cruise around Scotland and Ireland. The UK has a great club – the 924 Owners Club – where the 924 is an extremely popular model. And yes, we are a member of that club. You should be too.
- August is a big month – towing Sparky to Minneapolis for a family get-together, then over to 944Fest in Ohio. From there we will head down to Nort Northam’s place in Hot Springs, NC for a few days, then off to the Appalachian Adventure with the Appalachian Region PCA.
In the “More Information Than You Really Wanted” department, the (disputed) origins of the foolishness of April 1 can be traced back to 1392 in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. Some say that those origins actually originate with the French poet Eloy d’Amerval in 1508. There are several other references to April First Tomfoolery, but suffice to say that it is a common thing these days to challenge the imagination and creativity of practical jokers.
The message here is clear – no more fooling around! Get out there and enjoy your Porsche! And have a great April Fools Day!
See more April Fools articles: