The Covid-19 Virus pandemic has not been fun. There are a lot of sick people, too many deaths, and shutting down personal human interaction has wrecked the economy. But there are some news stories today that point to the idea that we are seeing the “light at the end of the tunnel.” Being the eternal optimists at 924S944.com, we are looking ahead.
The “stay home quarantine” has allowed us to catch up on our Porsche projects, as well as other projects around the house. So when this is over we will have running Porsches that are cleaned up and shiny with updated maintenance, ready to go. So what are we going to do next? Here are some suggestions.
- Get out in your Porsche and attend free events like Cars and Coffee, Cruise-In Nights and other similar car club events. Even invade the local hot-rod cruise-in’s with your Porsche. We will bet that at least one of the hot-rod folks will have a story about his or her 944 from “back in the day.”
- Patronize local business whenever possible. Many of us will be low on discretionary funds when this is over, but if you are going to spend dollars, spend it on local small business, whether that is a restaurant, parts store or whatever. Local is better in any recovery.
- Take this time to learn how to make tissue-paper flower arrangements, and sell them at the local flea market on Saturday. You have to do something with all that extra toilet paper in the garage.
- Don’t spend a lot of your new social-interactive time talking about the virus. Focus on what’s next.
- Go to an Autocross with your Porsche. I mean, you have new brakes, fresh fluids and all that other work that you completed. And a day with the cones won’t break the bank. Check PCA, SCCA and others for events in your area.
- Join your local Porsche Club region at PCA.org. Forget all that about how the transaxle cars are not “acceptable” with the PCA crowd. At the Porsche events we have attended in the past few years, more and more of “those people” have shown a great interest in our cars, relating stories about how the 944 was their “first Porsche.” And how they wish they never sold it. And how it was the best sports car ever. One year of membership is only $46. Then go to your local monthly meetings and other club events with your car and show it off.
- Finally, put all this behind you and focus on the future. Here in Florida, we are hoping to be getting things back to normal by the end of May – just in time for Hurricane Season starting on June 1!
We will get through this, and at times things may even look a little grim. But we are PORSCHE 944 PEOPLE! There is nothing too difficult or too challenging that we cannot do. I mean, we can change the clutch in a 944 with the car in the driveway on jack stands! In the rain! In comparison, this virus is nothing!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and look to the future.