The first of March brings Spring in Central Florida and the Amelia Island Concours near Fernandina Beach, north of Jacksonville, Florida. The weather forecast is for nice weather, no rain and warm temperatures that will make for a perfect weekend of cars and people – lots of people.
We go each year to participate in two events – Friday’s Porsche Werks Reunion and Saturday morning’s Cars and Community. (If you’re not familiar with these events, click on the links and read up on them.)
The Cars and Community event is part of the Concours weekend and is restricted to 350 cars – application, review and acceptance is required, and we are pretty sure that Sparky will be the only 924S on the field – the same field that hosts the actual Concours the next day.
The Porsche Werks Reunion is hosting 161 Porsches on the judged field, and again it looks like Sparky will be the only 924S on the judged field. The Corral, where like models are grouped together, will host an additional five hundred and twenty Porsches! That means that there will be six hundred and eighty-one Porsches attending this year’s reunion – ONE 924S and six hundred and eighty “other Porsches!”
Getting Sparky ready for the shows isn’t too difficult. Clean and polish is always done, but this year Sparky has new Fuch replica wheels, new tires and new upholstery – tan with black/grey/white tartan plaid inserts that commemorate the 70’s 924 plaid interiors. We are driving the almost three hours to Fernandina Beach in Sparky, so we will have to knock the road off of him when we get there on Thursday afternoon.
Sparky has some other events coming up, too.
- March 18 – Hot Rods and Heroes Show in Oviedo, Florida in support of our military and Honor Flight
- April 1 – Thunderhill Region PCA HPDE at the Firm in Starke, FL (Sparky isn’t going on track – we are instructing)
- April 8 – Florida Citrus Region PCA “Heritage Tour,” a historic tour that will end up in DeLand, featuring “heritage” Porsches (including 944’s)
- April 15 – Deland Area Cruisers Downtown Deland Car Show
- April 29 – Luft Wasser in Brevard, NC with the Appalachian Region
Spring is a busy time for car enthusiasts!